Are you looking for an opportunity to earn some extra income? Then how about workings as a driver for UberEATS?
By joining the team of UberEATS driver, you will get to work on your own schedule while delivering food from the city’s favourite restaurants to households all over the city.
This article will tell you what the job is like, how much UberEATS drivers get paid, and how you can sign up to drive for UberEATS.
What is UberEATS?
UberEATS is on-demand food delivery from local restaurants. Customers can choose any menu item from a restaurant and drivers pick up food at the restaurant and bring the food to customers.
What UberEATS drivers do
- UberEATS drivers pick up and deliver food to customers. Drivers don’t handle payment, only deliveries
- UberEATS drivers can be 19 years old
- UberEATS cars can be 1996 or newer.
- You can choose to do only food deliveries while you work, or if your car qualifies you can also do regular Uber rides
- You receive requests that tell you where to pick up and drop off the order
- The app will tell you if the drop off is curbside, or if you have to go to their door
- You are paid a pickup fee, a drop off fee, and for mileage. Uber takes a 25% cut
- Customers can tip inside the Uber app. You keep 100% of tips
How to become an UberEATS driver
You can apply directly with UberEATS on the UberEATS website without becoming an UberX driver, or if you’re already a regular Uber driver you can opt into receiving EATS request.
In the earlier days of EATS, only active UberX drivers could drive for EATS, so this is good news for those of you who don’t have a car that qualifies for UberX.
UberEATS driver requirements
- You must be 19 years old or older
- You must have a driver’s license, regular insurance, and proof of vehicle registration
- 1 year of driving experience
- Expect to lift up to 30 pounds
- Vehicle requirements: 1996 or newer for cities that allow Eats-only profiles. Otherwise vehicle requirements are the same as UberX vehicle requirements
Note: These requirements are for UberEATS in markets that allow you to apply directly with eats. You may find that some markets require you to also be an UberX driver.
Already an Uber driver? How to opt into Uber EATS
If you’re already an Uber driver, you can opt into eats deliveries at partners.uber.com. Click on the menu, then click “Deliveries.” You’ll reach a page that contains an opt-in button. You’ll then be told to wait for an activation email.
The activation email will have a subject line like “Welcome to Uber EATS” and will contain a training video and other basic tips that will help you understand how to do deliveries.
How to enable or disable UberEATS delivery requests
You can choose whether you want to receive EATS requests or not, and it’s possible to drive for both UberX and UberEATS at the same time. Inside the driver app, click the icon in the upper right corner, then tap the Settings icon. From there, you’ll see the “Trip Preferences” section. If you don’t want to accept EATS deliveries, tap on “Deliveries” to uncheck it. You can enable and disable other trip types too.
How do UberEats drivers get paid for deliveries?
UberEATS customers pay for the delivery through the Uber app, so EATS drivers don’t have to handle any cash or payment. Drivers are paid for each delivery based on a pickup fee, a drop-off fee, and a mileage fee. Your pay for an UberEATS delivery = Pickup fee + Distance travelled + drop-off fee. Uber takes a 25% cut of each order. (some markets my be 20%). If you have to do more than one drop off, you’ll get a drop-off fee for each different address that you have to deliver to.
UberEATS payout = Pickup fee + Distance travelled + drop-off fee – Uber’s cut
An example payout using Los Angeles rates: $2.50 for a pickup + $0.60 for mileage (3 miles at $0.20/mile) + $3.00 drop off fee = $6.10. Uber’s 25% fee is $1.52, total payout is $4.58. If you receive a tip, you receive 100% of it.
The UberEATS app in-app tipping feature
The UberEATS app allows in-app tipping. Customers can choose to leave you a tip after the order if complete, and after they rate you. Tipping delivery drivers is an expected practice in most cities, so many EATS drivers report getting both in-app or cash tip for nearly every delivery.
How much do UberEATS drivers make?
UberEATS drivers can expect to make around $8 – $12/hour after factoring in vehicle expenses. Pay can vary quite a bit from day to day and hour to hour, and it’s crucial to work lunch and dinner rushes if you want to earn on the higher end of the pay scale.
Dropping off deliveries for UberEATS: Do you have to get out of your car?
Depending on your city and the order, you may not need to get out of your car to complete your delivery. When it’s time to navigate to your customer, their pin will have show one of two labels that will let you know how to complete the order.
- Curbside: The customer comes to you, you don’t have to get out of your car When you arrive at the customer’s location, they’ll be notified with a text that you’ve arrived, and you can call and let them know the food is there. Hand their food through the window and hope they hand you a tip in return — but don’t ask for one! Uber tells you not to directly ask for tips.
- Walk-in dropoff: You have to get out of your car and meet the customer at their address. If it’s not obvious where the customer will be based on the pin, send them a text while you’re on the way and ask if they have a preferred meeting spot.
Cancellation policy: Same as regular Uber. If you show up at the customer’s location and they don’t come out for five minutes, you can cancel the order and get a $5 cancellation fee.
Is driving for UberEATS a good job?
Uber EATS has easier vehicle requirements than regular Uber, so just about anyone can deliver for EATS and earn money. You can drive whenever and wherever you want without having to work about scheduling shifts or dealing with a boss. That’s a big benefit if you need flexible work right now.
Some big benefits of driving for UberEATS
- You can drive for EATS at 19 years old. You have to be 21 or older for UberX.
- The vehicle requirements are much more lenient. Just about any working car will qualify.
Drawbacks of delivering for UberEATS
- The pay can be low. It can dip beneath $10/hour if your area isn’t busy and there’s no guaranteed minimum
- There are common work frustrations that can grind you down: Long waits at restaurants, traffic and parking, trouble contacting the customer or finding where exactly to deliver the food
Overall, if UberEATS is in your area and you’re looking for flexible work, it’s worth a try.