How to Become an Uber Driver New Zealand
To drive using the Uber app, you’ll need to meet the minimum vehicle and document requirements.
It’s easy to sign up to drive using the Uber app. Here’s what you need to do:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have held a valid full New Zealand driver’s licence for at least 2 years 1 year
- Have access to a vehicle that meets Uber’s vehicle requirements
- Be listed as an insured driver for the vehicle you will drive
- Provide all the necessary documents required in your city
Before hitting the road, you will need to submit the following documents:
- A valid, full New Zealand driver’s licence
- Photo of a valid, current Passenger Endorsement Driver ID card issued by the NZTA
- Proof of vehicle insurance; a minimum of third party property damage is needed, with you named as the policyholder or listed driver
- Valid vehicle registration
- Certificate of Fitness
- Transport Service Licence (TSL) card – this will be provided by Uber
In order to complete the sign-up process, you’ll be required to obtain a Passenger (P) Endorsement from the NZTA. Uber can assist you in applying for a P Endorsement, or you can apply directly at a NZTA Agent, such as VTNZ, AA, or VINZ.
As part of your P Endorsement application there are additional documents you may need to obtain. Uber can help you obtain many of these documents – visit a local Greenlight Hub.
Hit the road
It’s easy to get started:
Tell about yourself and your vehicle, if you have one. If you don’t, Uber may be able to connect you with vehicle solutions providers.
Upload a few personal documents, including your driver’s licence. Once you’ve created a personal account, you can add your vehicle to your account.
Schedule a visit to Greenlight Hub in your city to attend an info session and, if you don’t already have a P Endorsement, start the P Endorsement application process.
Once you’ve provided all the documents that verify you and your car’s eligibility all you need to do is download the Uber driver app to activate your account.